Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Place Where I Feel the Most Like Me

Only 9 days until I make another huge life change. Geeze, can't I ever just hold still for a minute? Nope!

I'm going back to Austin. I know I keep rambling on about "Austin this" and "Austin that", but I want you guys to understand it's not really "Austin" that I'm so excited about. It's what Austin stands for to me. Maybe your Austin is Cincinnati or Denver, or your dog for all I know... To me Austin will be my spring board into my future plans, my future life, the more "adult" and "responsible" Meg. (And I know what you guys are thinking. "Yeah right! How is she going to be more responsible with all that Lonestar and Shiner bock beer, and rebellious country music floating around?)  Well, I'll tell ya I'm only going out every OTHER night!

To move things along and to be prepared this time, (I no longer do the "show up and pray" technique when I move somewhere), I'm doing the usual craigslist searches, and contacting people to see if they would consider a crazy asian woman who can't cook to be a possible candidate for a roommate.  I'm also going over how many holey t-shirts I can fit into my trunk, along with my jewelry-making supplies and guitars, of course.

And while I'm absolutely sure (well...pretty sure) this is the right move for me to make, I'm a little scared and anxious. I've had horror-story roommates in my past, stayed in studio apartments that actually caused my nice mormon girlfriends to break into tears out of terror (true story). I've poured money down the drain. I've made and broken important and meaningless friendships. Found jobs, lost jobs. Done all that, and the main thing I've learned is that: eventually the hard times get better, but there ARE hard times. I wanted to write a little "note-to-self" if you will, to read if I get lonely, sad, or am going through some tough times. I think that letter would go something like this: 

Dear Meg

I know you may be having a difficult time right now. Perhaps you are upset at something somebody said. Maybe you are upset at something you said. Maybe everything hasn't gone exactly as planned, but listen to me HERE and NOW because I am younger and less experienced then you: Don't take life so seriously. Don't let anything get you down. When you are around somebody enough, anybody, they are bound to get on your nerves, just like you are bound to get on theirs.

Remember what you wanted to accomplish when you made the journey down here? Remember that you fantasized about sweet tea, the sweltering Texas sun, and mouth-watering barbecue made the way that only Austin can make it? Remember how you left: hopeful and excited?

Accidents happen and "perfect" never does. You aren't the type to roll-over and give up. Get up, because you've got it pretty good.

Honestly,
Meg


23 comments:

  1. Have fun, love, and create. All I ever needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy your new adventure in Austin and that everything goes well:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always feel like such a stalker when I read your blogs before you post about them on Twitter n' stuff. But... I just happened to be online and checkin' stuff. And I finally got around to watching your 2nd video blog. Was fantastic.

    Ahem. Now back to the topic at hand. Haha. I sure hope you enjoy your time in Austin! Stay safe and as awesome as ever!!

    I love your line "Accidents happen and 'perfect' never does." I'm going to remember that when I'm down. :)

    Keep shining,
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also moving to the place where I feel most like me, Florida! Exciting and terrifying. See you down south!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Accidents happen and "perfect" never does. You aren't the type to roll-over and give up. Get up, because you've got it pretty good."

    That's quote & Tumblr worthy!

    Honestly,
    Cheska

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know you'll be okey, have a nice travell! and take care yourself. -Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to be lost in life in a couple of weeks here myself.
    I told myself I'm using the next few years to make mistakes and learn about myself and the world I live in.

    Maybe that's my naive youth speaking, but I'm rolling with it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a Texan i love this news of you moving back to Austin. I have family down there and my little sister goes to school at UT. At first i was resistant to going down there to visit my sis. Its a big city and im a small town boy. But once i opened up and let go of my 'small town' thinking i fell in love with the town. There is so much going on down there its amazing. So Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a good thing to be more prepared and have things thought out! You're definitely ready to be on the move once more.

    I have had a few classmates from Austin and they say it is really nice out there. They've said the people, the atmosphere, and the food are all great. So I can imagine how you feel about it. I'd like to go one day to check it out and eat all the delicious foods.

    Enjoy your stay and be safe!

    P.S. Have you ever been to The Salt Lick? The B.B.Q. is said to be very, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Meg,
    Why Austin exactly? What do you plan on doing there? How long do you plan on being gone? What does this mean for the band?
    I wish you well.
    Keep your eyes peeled for those In N Out Burger joints. They're opening a bunch in Texas in may. (gee, I hope you like INO. If not, peel not your eyes.)
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect isn't so great anyway. As long as you're happy doing whatever you do, that's the important thing. Glad to hear you'll soon be returning to your favorite place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. DO IT MEG! We all live once, so make it happen & live life to the fullest! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Meg. I haven't seen you guys in a long time. I went all through high school seeing you guys play live here in Dallas. It's cool you're going to be in Austin. I was a little bummed the Dallas show was cancelled, I wanted to see you guys before I graduated, but it's OK, you guys have stuff to do. This is a cool blog.
    PS - You should play at the Kessler Theater - Dallas' best kept secret. shh.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  14. yay, congrats! live music capital of the world? barbeque? sounds awesome. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  15. -nwuknowme

    i have no idea what that user name is. looks hella like spam

    ReplyDelete
  16. lil bubbly prob just asked all the questions i wanted to ask!

    all the best for this journey of yours!
    you will still talk to us, even when you are in Austin right!?

    ReplyDelete
  17. i am from Florida, and i got to austin almost every year. Mozart's Coffee is where i find my peace, my center... weird i know... but i love it. My heart is in Austin too. I hope to move there soon. I get married in September and wish to fly away to austin

    ReplyDelete
  18. i am from Florida, and i got to austin almost every year. Mozart's Coffee is where i find my peace, my center... weird i know... but i love it. My heart is in Austin too. I hope to move there soon. I get married in September and wish to fly away to austin

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will have to check out Mozart's Coffee!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. meg you are a wise one :)

    you only live your life once and are only young once. live it up. make mistakes and fall. you will only rise up a stronger wiser person.

    ~judith

    PS i read this speech to keep me going. thought i'd share w/ you.

    For some of you this night marks a return to your college life, for some of you a new beginning. And so, upon the eve of the tremendous journey upon which you are all embarking, I’d like to offer you a thought to take with you. Listen carefully: you will fail here. All of you. College is not the culmination of your high school career. It is the beginning of your adult life. Only it is a slow sweet beginning that feels nothing like what life and all the attending obligations will eventually bring. So fail here… This is your chance.

    Do things you know you can’t do, or think you can’t do but hope in your deepest most secret hidden heart that you can.

    Be bad at things. Be embarrassed. Be vulnerable. Go out on a limb. Or two. Or twelve.

    The harder you fall, the farther you’ll rise. And the louder you fail, the clearer the distant bell of your future will ring. Failure is a gift. Welcome it. There are people who spend their lives wondering how they became the people they became, how certain chances passed them by and why they didn’t take the road less traveled. Those people are not you.

    You have the front-row seat to your own transformation. And in transforming yourself, you might just transform the world. Believe that, and embrace the new person you’re becoming. This is your moment. Now. Not ten minutes from now, not tomorrow, really now. Know that, truly in your bones, and wake up each morning remembering it. And then keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahhhhhhhh I'm so excited for you Meg! I live in Austin, its the most amazing place in the world! Mozart's is beautiful, and hula hut is right next door which is also pretty good. Check out buffalo exchange on the drag downtown, its a thrift store with lots of great vintage things that aren't crazy expensive. My favorite place to just be in austin is butler park. I like to go at night because you get a beautiful view of the city and it's not usually too crowded so it's very peaceful. I've been a huge fan of you and Dia for a long time now, and I just hope you love it here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. strange to be catching up from months behind without knowing what's coming in future months... but this is what i mean about your intelligence, wisdom, and your beautiful mind... remember, just because you don't always use it does not mean it isn't there :)

    ReplyDelete