Sunday, May 1, 2011

Walking in Your Bare Feet

I was eating some cold spaghetti while watching my roommate attempting to get his new t.v. and Nintendo Wi to function. I pretended like I was fascinated by my meal and the fruit flies in the kitchen, so he wouldn't notice me noticing him in all of his frustration.
I tried to rush through my meal and mumbled an excuse that I needed to take out the trash. I tied up the over-flowing trash bag and headed out the door. I didn't want to walk past his "line of fire" to get to my room in order to grab my shoes, so I stepped out into the humid Texas air barefoot. Immediately my clean toes melted into a sidewalk so warm it felt like human skin.

Now that I'm a "grown up", it seems slightly blasphemous to tromp around outside without the proper footwear. I'm bound to step on piles of broken glass from beer bottles. I'm sure there have been parties involving urination out of two and three-story windows. After all, the vast majority of the renters here are struggling students, and they aren't on their best behavior most of the time. 

I almost turn around, but  I say to myself, "Meg, you've gotta toughen up. The garbage dump is about 40 yards from your door, and nobody ever died from making the journey barefoot."

And then, I think the sense of a tiny bit of danger and impropriety must have caused a stirring in me. I remembered how it felt...

to play in my bare feet. 

You know, when I was a kid.  I remember a sea of glowing green grass. I remember trees and dirt. Nothing was threatening. Not the coarseness of the overgrown roots, the edges of the fresh-cut blades. Nothing could hurt me back then. 

What lovely memories I had. Keeping those fond memories we have as children is important to remind us of how life is supposed to feel and how fear is supposed to be discarded.

What memories childhood memories do you have that you wish you could go back to?

Honestly,
Meg

Artwork by Chris Sebastion 

9 comments:

  1. I remember when I used to love playing outside without shoes...
    until I stepped on a bee at my grandfather's. Ha.
    Today I went to the beach where I used to play as a kid. I used to swim in the ocean there until I developed a fear of what might be living on the bottom. Maybe it'd do me good to get over that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate. In my apartment complex we have a lot of grass, but I actually have seen broken beer bottles and thats the last thing I want stuck in my foot!

    This post reminds me of "Don't tell me nothing matters, I'll tell you what matters. Bare feet in the summer, open windows at night" ;]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emilie, I get scared of ocean water too. I much prefer to read on the beach, but I do agree that I'm probably missing out.

    Reticella, good catch. Ha ha. That didn't come to mind, but it makes me happy that you related this post to that song:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stumbled back on this blog and I'm glad I did. I think I'll add it to my blogroll if you don't mind so I can remember to come back to it.

    I love how carefree childhood was. I miss that the most I think. Being "grown up" isn't exactly full of fun all the time. I miss just doing things spontaneously and having all the time in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just remember how easy life was as a child with not a care in the world. My favourite memories would have to be the simple ones, playing in the streets with friends and how excited we would get when we heard the music from and ice-cream van! I still get excited about ice-cream today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing that comes to mind when I think of my childhood is falling down and scraping my knees at every opportunity. Oh, how I’ve missed that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since you mentioned walking around barefoot... I used to love playing under the water sprinkler out in my old backyard. My cousins and I would chase each other around the sprinkler until the water eventually soaked all the grass and soil. Then we'd be running around barefoot in mud instead. I don't think I'd jump at the chance of running around in mud now. lol

    When I look back at my childhood, my cousins and I did a crazy amount of stupid things, but nothing ever stopped us from doing more. Sure, I might have fallen off a slide or flew off a bike, but that never stopped me from getting back on that slide or bicycle. (I was a very clumsy child. I still am. lol) I miss how easy it was to be fearless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not exactly a childhood memory, but just the feeling of being a child.
    When society's pressure and grip has no effect on you.
    It reminds me that the pressure I feel daily is made up in my mind.

    Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember visiting Mexico as a kid. My grandmothers house is on this small unpaved street but its sand instead of dirt so I remember first thing in the morning after eating breakfast I would run outside barefoot and feel the warm sand between my toes and and the sun warming every inch of my skin. She had this dog too (cutest little shaggy black/grey dog ever) his name was Chucho and he would follow me and my brothers around everywhere. It was the most fun I can remember having as a kid and I still love going to that house to this day.

    ReplyDelete