Monday, August 1, 2011

Adventures at Madam Mam's

 Nick and I decided that for dinner we would have take-out Thai from our favorite Thai restaurant, Madam Mam's. I called in an order of lemon grass soup with fried tofu, grabbed my flip-flops from the closet, and we were on our way.

Nick needed to pick up a few groceries from the market nearby, so he dropped me off at the restaurant. Paying for our meal and receiving our spicy soup took a lot less time than I thought. I decided to make myself comfortable on the shaded benches just out front of Madam Mam's while I waited. A father and his two sons were seated on the other side of the bench. I settled back into the seat, assumed a look of moderate disinterest, and proceeded to steal glances and tidbits of this little families' convo. (Hey, I don't have one of those fancy iphones like all of you to keep me occupied. Don't judge!)

Little kid drawl is entertaining enough on its own, regardless of the ridiculous phrases that are constantly coming out of their mouths. I tried to hide a smile as the younger son, who appeared to be about two, rambled on about how he should own a commuter since his older brother had one. "But daaaad, Why can't I have a comp-com-computa? Jason hadth one?! I waaaant one tooooo!"

While younger brother was yanking on his fathers cut-off shorts, the older son, Jason, pointed to one of those new electric car models that had just driven into our view. "Can we have an electric car dad?"

"Hmmm." The father's face looked quizzical. "We could have an electric car if we lived down town, but where we live it just isn't practical"

"Why?" chirped Jason.

"Yes, why?" I thought to myself, just as eager as the six year old to have his father impress some knowledge onto us.

The father, who had looked pretty miserable up to this point, sitting outside in the heat while his wife was paying for their dinner inside, suddenly perked up a bit. He looked down into his curious son's face and saw a tiny spark of hope, a learning opportunity, a moment he could capitalize and use to turn his boys into striking young men.

"Well" the father started with a grin, "I DO think an electric car would be a fantastic idea! Electric cars are cheap to make. They are smaller so they are easier to park in those tiny parking spaces downtown, and they don't use up a lot of gas so they are good for the environment as well." The father went on to list a whole slew of  positive reasons to own an electric car, as well as the negative points to make his lesson objective, of course. He gracefully snuck in just enough economics and politics for a six-year old to understand. After his explanation I was determined to inform Nick upon his arrival that we needed to head to an electric car dealership before returning home.

I thought to myself, "What a great father! He's sensitive, not at all condescending, and an educator all in one." What a wonderful childhood these children must have, how full of knowledge and love. I nodded my head in approval and sneaked a glance to witness the childrens' reaction.

The younger one was busy squishing a tiny beetle with his left sandal. The older paused for a moment, his mouth gaping open with just the slightest bit of slobber looming dangerously close to the edge of his lower lip, and said, "Dad, can we get a clown car?"

8 comments:

  1. ending was priceless! ahah! This totally made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this story! It reminds me of my three year old cousin who is also a boy. Full of questions, energy, and mispronounced words (due to his lisp. For example, instead of saying "yes" he will say "yes-th." He used to say "minja," but I spent a few minutes and helped the little fella out. He can now say "Ninja" although it doesn't always come out easily. Sometimes he'll start to speak and he will say the mmm, pauses, and finishes with "NINJA!" As for explaining things to my cousin... Shucks! He's very smart and understands almost anything you explain to him, but he will be persistent and pretends to not understand in hopes of getting his way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really cute post!
    I spent all of last week teaching at a kid's horse daycamp thing... Some of the stuff they say is super adorable. One little girl tries to convince everyone to do her work for her by saying things like "But I'm WEALLY tiewd." (She doesn't get her "r" sounds) or "But someone as small as me can't do this by myself!"

    She's actually so cute that she can con anyone into doing anything for her.
    Gahhh. I love small children. Most of the time, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cute. It reminds me of my baby cousins. One is 3 years old and everytime I see him he always asks me questions like "What's on your teeth?" and I always have to reply back saying "Braces."

    Now that I think of it, a lot of little kids ask me about my braces... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these kind of stories. Children are so priceless - they always make for fond memories.

    I had a similar encounter on the Underground in London. I was politely eavesdropping on the conversation between a thirty-something year old black man and a little eight year old boy. They were discussing Wimbledon matches they had seen on TV (a typical British topic) and I was totally engrossed by their conversation. For me, listening to two Brits talk about Wimbledon in their iconic accents is as amusing as watching a Wimbledon match itself.

    All of the sudden, the boy turned to his father, who was sitting beside him, and gives him a pleading stare that every kid under the age of ten has seemed to master. He then asks him in a voice dripping with innocence, "Daddy, can I get a tele for my bedroom?" I swear, if it hadn't been for the fact that the train had just stopped at my designated station, I would've given that little boy every single Pound I had in my pocket just so he could get his "tele" haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Lemongrass soup with fried tofu! I'm Thai American - I'm glad you like some Thai food! :) Anyways, thanks for sharing your cute and funny story! (I don't have any fancy Iphone, either!) Young kids are so amusing and entertaining. They ask the best and most innocent questions! Like hoykebin said, the ending of your story was precious and made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. Adorable... Running off on all these different tangents until you must start back at square one! I wonder where the conversation went next...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if you play the game Fallout 3 or Fallout new Vegas but it would be cool to make a robot from something from that game!!

    ReplyDelete