Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chandler the Explorer SOLD OUT!

O.K. First of all. WHO OR WHAT IS THIS TIN TIN? Ha ha.  

I didn't expect anyone to actually guess "Chandler the Explorer" so anyone who guessed along the lines of "Indiana Jones" will be receiving 25% off "Chandler the Explorer." Please check the end of this post to see if your name is there. If so, after placing your order regularly, email me @ chandlertherobot@hotmail.com with the subject "Guesswork", and I will give you instructions on how to receive your discount refund.) I apologize if you believe my first clue of "journalism" had nothing to do with an "explorer". Nick's opinion was that it doesn't, but my opinion is that journalism does have something to do with an explorer, because when you "explore", you "document" your work with photographs, and photographs are used in articles. 




I had a lot of fun with the creative process of this Explorer bot. I've always wanted to incorporate a mini camera, and I've also received a lot of requests from you guys about that. The safari hat took a couple tries to get just right, and of course, I just had to add a mustache!  As far as the color goes, I patina most of my bots,  which means I use a liquid that creates the darker smudges that cover the clay. This process makes the clay look old and worn. Of course, robots look SO much cooler that way. For "Chandler the Explorer" I decided to use a little extra "patina" to really bring out the "grittiness" of this piece. This Chandler is a tough-outdoorsy kind of dude. We need to all learn from him that sometimes in life you gotta get out there and "get your hands dirty". 









A real life Explorer we ran into on Chandler the Explorer's photo shoot. You should have seen the cliff this guy climbed! I had to place a Chandler the Explorer around his neck for good luck (Not that he needed it) 

In the pictures, Chandler the Explorer is exploring sediment rock and plant life, in my picture I'm exploring the million dollar questions: What do I really want? What really makes me happy? If what used to make you happy isn't a reality anymore, than the question becomes what could make you happy? I used to think that owning my own home and decorating the interior with Pottery Barn would really make me happy. I became so fixated on that future idea, I totally blocked out the enjoyment I should have been experiencing in the present.  I realized that in my apartment of monk-simplicity, I have the most comfortable and warm bed to pass out in each night. I realized how incredible it is to kick back in my pajama pants, after a day of making "wild-life loving" robots, with a glass of wine and watching "Arrested Development" while playing footsies with someone I care about. Hell, I'm the most spoiled person I know!




What have you been meaning to "explore" about yourself lately? Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. Ask yourself honestly and think about it. The answer might surprise you.

*Only 50 "Chandler the Explorer" will be made. He is made out of polymer clay, vintage watch parts, and antique copper. This necklace includes a 26" antique copper chain. He is 2" tall. Cost: $50.00

14 comments:

  1. He is super cute! Love his mustache and hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, he looks wonderful! Yep the journalism totally threw me off from Indiana just because I've never identified it with him before. I should've listened to my boyfriend telling me that it was an Indiana-related bot. haha. Great job to those who guessed it. Anywho, he looks really great Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I knew it had to do with adventures and exploration. However there is no GREEN! Haha using Jade, the green question marks, and comment ripple effect made a bunch of people think some form of green would be featured on the new Chandler.

    Nicely done Meg. I like the hat on the new piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, I feel so dumb now. Haha. Of course I thought about it way too hard...by the way, Tintin is some cartoon boy who went on adventures or something, idk. I'd never heard of it either, I just decided to agree with the popular majority. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, his mustache is so adorable haha! XD

    I was in the same boat as Kalli Marie in that I was never into Indiana Jones. Oh well. XD The whole guessing game thing was still fun! :D Also, I hope you are joking about your Tintin question... LOL.

    Btw, I forgot to add in a chain length request when I placed my order.. Where can I email you for that (if it's alright, that is)? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. The addition of the hat and mustache is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can email me @ chandlertherobot@hotmail.com for chain length requests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is sooo cute! I also did not know what/who tintin is. When I was reading the guesses I was thinking "wtf is tintin" haha. Good to know I wasn't the only one out of the loop :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. it was fun to see everyone scrambling for an answer, i think we were all looking for a specific person instead of a general occupation. His mustache is pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, I think this may well be my favorite piece of yours! He's adorable yet got his "hands dirty" and very tough... but unfortunately my camera broke and I'm in dire need of saving up for one because I have to use it for a lot of stuff coming soon... I really want to snag this guy though! wah! But he is awesome, thank you for thinking up this amazing Chandler! I find it funny how everyone immediately thought of Jade when you hinted "journalism"... and I've no idea what TinTin is? hmmm, keep up the amazing work Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like the others, I really over-thought the clues we were given. I had briefly thought about an Explorer Chandler,actually, when I was trying to think from a design point-of-view (I envisioned a hat with backpack).. but brushed it off because of the journalism hint :P That was fun trying to guess though.

    Anyhows, I'm torn.. I like Chandler the Explorer a lot, but I'm patiently waiting on that superhero one too... ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! You are such a great Designer! Im so sad the explorers gone. Keep making more!

    ReplyDelete