Friday, December 30, 2011

Be Present

My "oh-so-zen" yoga instructor told the class that the year is coming to an end, and rather than focus all of our thoughts on the future or the past, focus on the present. "Be present" he said. "I'm not saying that you need to ignore the past. Learn from the past of course. Also, don't avoid the future. Plan for the future, but BE in the present."

He said that we spend so much time, especially with the new year just around the corner, setting goals, which is great, but "It is so important to stay focused on what you are doing now, and enjoy the moment."

I focused on my breath, ignoring the incredibly painful "pigeon prep pose" I was twisted into during his wise speech. (Hey, although I was focusing more on the "pain" of the moment, I was still in the moment!)

Later that Day, I applied what Mr. K had taught us to my life and music.

I walked through the halls of our practice studio's building, silently admiring the shiny guitars on display behind glass on the walls. I looked up at the pictures of Buddy Guy and more pictures of some band wearing gallons of makeup and platform boots. Kiss maybe?

I pushed open the door to our practice room noticing flooding spotlights on the grand piano center stage with Dia tinkering around on her smart phone, approving merchandise designs, and waiting for another song to begin. Carlo and Jonathan were over by the tech box rummaging around for guitar strings, and Nick was behind the sound board, chatting technical terms with our intern who will be going on the road with us. 

It would be too easy to revert back to wondering what "might have happened" if Meg and Dia made another record…or wasn't able to make another record.

Be in the present.

Or, think about what Dia's future, and in the process our future, might look like with season two of The Voice premiering soon. What's going to happen?

Be in the present.

I delay my solo during our cover of Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" to really listen to how the changes in the chord progression make me feel. Then I launch into a sad and powerful bend up on the higher portion of the guitar neck. I then launch, with a surprising amount of confidence for me, into an almost feverish and passionate run of notes. I hear Dia squeal, "Yeah!!!" 

"That's what I'm going for." I think to myself. I want to make people jump out of their seats with excitement by something I'm playing and feeling!

After a five-minute break, Carlo makes an inside joke about something or other that I can't hear from my side of the stage. Dia and Carlo have become a lot closer as friends. We all have.

Mr. K says, "If we're too busy planning or remembering, it is difficult to enjoy the present moments we have."

With all that the future holds and all that happened in the past behind us, life is good.

Now.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, the thoughts you think make me think! All we really have is the present, but we lose sight of it with planning for tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder with another New Year approaching to take hold of the time we have.

    You make me excited to hear and see what you guys have in store for the tour! Remember always, that you have incredible gifts. It would be a crime not to share them with the world at large. We need a lift!

    I hope to use your inspiration and pass it on to others. Thanks for being...Meg.

    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

    T.G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the message on this blog. Wise words. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! Enjoying the moment is definitely something I need to work on in 2012. You can learn a lot of valuable life lessons from yoga :)

    I don't think you have any idea how excited we all are for this tour...AND the headlining tour!! I know you might be nervous the first few nights of tour since you're playing ARENAS, but you have nothing to fear. You'll see some familiar faces in the audience bobbing around to the beat...

    http://twitpic.com/7tfl1x

    Of course we chose RED for the background! :)

    We love you guys & are here to support you no matter what road life takes you! See you in Toledo opening night!

    -Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually been trying to focus on the present lately, but it's hard. I always find myself thinking of things I would-have could-have should-have done differently in the past, or wondering what the future holds. But thanks to this post, I'm going to try and renew my efforts :) I don't want to wake up grey haired and wrinkled someday and realize that I've never really lived in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha Hilary. Nick showed me those the other day on Facebook I think it was. Luv it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i cannot wait to see you all on stage again! it feels like forever since i was waiting for the rock for justice tour and now we have a big awesome tour!! also, how do people do such crazy stretches/stances in yoga!? i feel my muscles seizing up just thinking about it

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha!! Good Nick is a good man :) See you in Toledo! It was 20 degrees in Ohio today so dress WARM! xo

    ReplyDelete