Friday, January 13, 2012

Blake Tour: Toledo


After pushing open one of the bathroom stalls in our dressing room, Carlo stepped up onto the toilet seat, twirled around to face the mirror, and began scrutinizing his stage clothes.To me this was not unusual behavior, not just because I'm used to Carlo's unusual behavior in general by now, but back in my apartment in Austin, before a night out on the town, I often hop onto the edge of my bathtub so I can see how my shoes look with my evening outfit.

Carlo looked good.

Nick began nervously adjusting his tie which made me nervous because…well, Nick is never nervous. I took the tag off the neck of my new dress I bought specifically for these shows just as Dia pranced into the room still wearing her cheetah print pajama pants. We hadn't seen her all day. She is usually busy with telephone and t.v. interviews. Glad to see her energy was still running on high.

The whole day seemed to pass in slow motion up until the point of actually playing. The hour right before our time to go on seemed to pass in about five minutes. Hair strategically placed with bobby pins. Check! Time to put on the uncomfortable stage heels. Check! (You should have seen the relief in Blake's stage manager's eyes after I stepped off the stage after our first set injury free.), No lipstick in streaks across my chin or forehead. Check! (don't ask me how it gets there.)

Show time!

Aah. My stomach turns even right now simply writing the words: "show time". While we were back stage behind the curtain, I focused on deep breathing, and may have given my guitar tech minor indian burns on his forearms while grabbing and shaking him to ask him if he had "remembered everything, Rob?!" It's cool. He's a tough guy. (He actually doubles as Dia's security guard.)

I peeked out to see a filled stadium. I had figured that the audience would still be filing in while we played, a beer in one hand a kid in the other. Our monitor man, Zach, asked if we would like the lights to be "killed". "For heavens sake" I thought to myself. "Kill the lights! Kill the lights!" Dia told them to kill the lights, and BOOM… 

BLACKNESS!

And so the five of us trailed out to our doom..ahem, I mean our first show. We shuffled onto the stage, slowly finding our positions in the dark behind our microphones and instruments. Our intro music began playing. I felt a tremendous amount of energy flow through me with lightning speed as I watched random flashes of light begin to burst around the stadium from the distant cameras everywhere. It was like being bathed in a shower of shooting stars. 

I wish I had words to explain what playing on that stage felt like. I imagine that playing up there felt like doing drugs. (Which I haven't btw.) Once you've tried it, you want more…MORE!

I am so proud of Dia. I thought she might be overwhelmed by the pressure and shrink into a frightened little ball in the corner of the stage. But, NO! That girl blossomed. I found myself surprised by the goosebumps forming on my bare arms as she courageously braved the catwalk. She dove into that gigantic audience and began twirling like a little sugar fairy, bending over to hug and clasp hands with members of a captivated audience.


Now, I'm not going to tell you that there weren't any technical problems (like my guitar amp not being on for instance…Rob, YOUR fault! O.K. o.k. It might have been a teensy bit my mistake.)


Good Night Toledo!

Honestly,
Meg


22 comments:

  1. I guess it's true: The more you do something, the easier it gets until it becomes second nature. Then you can relax and really enjoy and soak in the experience and atmosphere instead of only concentrating on what you have to do.

    Looking at your tour dates, wow there's a lot happening these 3 months! And like last year, Blake squeezes in his coaching duties on The Voice in the middle of a tour, too. I hope you guys can get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't express how proud and excited I am for you guys!!! I assume the guitar was perfect? :) and I always stand on the bath tub to get a view of my entire outfit! There's not a single long mirror in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Jonathan performing with you guys?

    These stories just make me want to see you guys even more ^_^ I wish I could. Thanks for keeping us "in the know", I really appreciate it and I'm sure everyone else does too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I would have been nervous as well, but you all did great! I cannot wait to see you in Chicago and hopefully talk to you again Meg! We talked a bit in Chicago a year ago and it was amazing! I'll take my Chandler and try to find you for a picture. Until then, keep rocking out at your shows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woow that sounds incredible! I really wish you guys were coming to Hawaii so I could go! It'd make my year. Ahaha. Someday, for sure. Good luck with the rest of the tour :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Sounds like it was a great show. I'm happy to see you all out there still making it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. INSANE show last night! It was awesome to be able to go to the first night of tour. I know it was probably a little stressful, but you guys put on an amazing show. I assumed you guys were a little nervous, but you honestly could not tell at all once you took the stage. My friend, Courtney pointed to you and said "she looks like she is having so much fun!" when you were playing the drums in the beginning! You all had great stage presence! I noticed Carlo was having guitar problems in the beginning, but other than that, it seemed like smoothing sailing! It was amazing seeing you guys up on the big stage!!! I have to say my favorite part of the night was your guitar solo during "Need You Now"...so sick! Thanks for coming to play it right in front of us on the catwalk :)

    Here are a few pictures my boyfriend and I got from the Toledo show. My camera broke so I was forced to use my crappy small one, but overall I think they turned out pretty good! Everyone is free to use them if they'd like.

    www.flickr.com/htaylor1020

    Enjoy the rest of the tour. You guys really deserve this and have worked so hard! Be sure to enjoy the moment :) Oh, and hope you liked the Meg & Dia cut out heads ha ha!! See you back in Ohio on Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i would die to see you guys perform again. reading about it will have to do for now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for blogging Meg! I love seeing the pictures you post up on facebook & twitter...This is getting me excited for when I see you guys at the Troubador.

    So you guys pretty much have a "set" setlist? Or will you guys be tinkering with that throughout the tour?

    Oh, and thanks Hilary for posting pictures as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind, I saw your answer in the other blog!

      Delete
  10. Ah I feel nervous just reading this post! It sounds like everything went well though :) Can't wait to see you on tour next month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds so amazing. So happy for you Megera :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. After I read this, I could not stop smiling. I couldn't help but think this is one of those lifetime moments that YOU will never forget. Speaking as a fan, I am hoping we can keep giving you this experience for a long time to come.
    I like the way you described the experience. I have a tiny sense of what goes on before this amazing experience. Can't wait for the next adventure on the road.
    Thanks to Hilary's photos, we got to see how you looked. I must say, I love the look you guys had. Carlo had a great classic Roy Orbison/Johnny Cash look. How did you have time for a wardrobe change?

    "Rock and roll band
    Everybody's waitin'
    Gettin' crazy
    Anticipating love and music
    Play, play, play, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah"...Boston/Rock&Roll Band

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are right I will NEVER forget it. The crazy thing is, it doesn't happen just once, it happens just about every night!!! haha.

    Thanks for reading:) I have a really great time sharing my experiences with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Meg! I love this blog! It is very very VERY interesting to read your experiences on the road and about CTR. Cant wait to see you guys on Feb.18th! Riser 1 Row A Seats 5-6!!! I hope they are really good seats! EEP!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like such an amazing experience! Great to see how it is from your side of the tour... It sounds like it was verging on EPIC! I can't wait to see you on the closing date back at the Troubadour on March 18th! I feel like you guys will be so tired out! Hope you get millions more experiences like this one. It'll be so inspiring to see all of Meg & Dia reunited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. AHH!!!! I'm soooooo excited for yall!! This story is awesome!!! I'm happy the show went well. I'm going to be seeing yall in Las Vegas or Cali, not sure which one yet. Good luck with the rest of the tour!!!! Kick ass!

    p.s. You really need a stand up mirror hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! ha ha. We put one on our "rider", but they haven't showed up in the dressing room yet.

      Delete
  17. I know I'm a few days late, but you're starting to write a lot with this tour. Plus I'm working so much which does not help me stay on top of the newer blogs. However, I am going to spend my spare time, days off, and last few minutes before I fall asleep reading your blogs.

    This post gave me goosebumps and put a smile on my face (^_^)

    ReplyDelete