Saturday, January 14, 2012

Blake Tour: Lincoln Nebraska

Usually, A week and half to two weeks pass before I begin to forget what daily life was like before tour, and begin to think that I have always lived in a bus. This time around, I slipped right back into the "tour mentality" in about three days. Everything odd about "living on a bus" became second nature. Maybe we've just been missing "the road" for far to long while Dia was filming "The Voice". We were really, REALLY ready to be on tour again.

Where the buses and semis park just outside the venue becomes a "mini city". The two feet of space in between busses becomes our "mini city" streets. We begin to see familiar faces each morning. We see the same stage hands having their morning cigarettes, the same production manager anxiously running around, red-faced and upset, the same band members sleepy-eyed and smiling with their tired smiles. 

I've made a HUGE effort to memorize names. The Blake crew and band member's have also made efforts worthy of applause to not confuse Dia with myself. I walk around the arena floor behind the enormous stage curtains, wind my way in between stadium seats, all the while silently reminding myself as I pass familiar faces: "Philliip: Blake's piano player, Jeanae: Blake's fiddle player, Shane: stage manager, etc…"

Am I a little intimidated being a woman, who is much younger than everyone else, singing pop music on a Country tour? I surprise even myself giving you guys my answer: No. No, I'm not scared. I think I've finally come to realize, after all these years of touring, that we are all at different levels of playing and have different levels of experience, but we are all here to do the same thing: have a good time playing music. With that common goal in mind, there isn't any reason why we can't all be happy to be here, on tour together, no matter where we all come from and where we've all been.

As for tonight's show in Lincoln, Nebraska. Can anyone say, "Technical problems"? We never have adequate time to check levels before we play. Blake's crew needs to have a full sound check, as well as Josh after them. By the time doors are open, the "Dia Frampton" gang has barely plugged in our instruments. 

A lot of tour is "sucking it up". 

So, even though my acoustic guitar was missing in my monitor system, and I couldn't hear a thing I was playing, the name of the game is to "pretend like everything is fine". That's what I did. I smiled, (which was easy to do because technical problems or not, it's always a blast to play in front of that many people!)

After the set my manager asked me how it was. I said, "You know, Even though there were a lot of issues tonight, I'm going to go ahead and skip the whole "freaking out" part, and the "feeling sorry part" of being a musician who has just experienced the show I did, because…" I continued "We've gone through this a hundred times. The first week of a tour there are a lot of tweaks to be made. We usually feel a little "loose" because we have been out of practice. We usually get really upset and hold all kinds of serious band meetings, but not this time. I know that everything will be straightened out within a week, and we'll all be laughing about how worried we were." 

That's the great thing about having played so many shows, and been at this "touring thing" for so long. I've experienced all the "ups" and "downs" like I'm sure all of you guys have in your own lives. This is an occasion when we can appreciate having been through those "hard times" because we now know that "hard times" always get better. They always turn around.

Audience in Lincoln, Nebraska


Lincoln Nebraska, I love you because you have Jimmy Johns. Blake Shelton Production Team, I love you because you just brought to our bus a GIANT platter of vegan Jimmy John's sandwiches. I'm going to go enjoy one right now. 

Honestly,
Meg

18 comments:

  1. Way back in the day, I thought you and Dia were twins. It's hard to think that now, especially since your hair is 3x times longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are seeing the positive in everything, you have always been like that and I have always admired you for that. Glad you are having the time of your life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I hear the city Lincoln, Nebraska, I'm always reminded of the song Comin' Home by City and Colour (if you're from Lincoln, you may not want to listen to it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, i really enjoy reading your blogs. Going to try to make out to FL to see the amazing crew :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THESE,EVEN THOUGH I HAVING BEEN PLAYING GUITAR FOR ABOUT 35 YEARS OR SO I COULD NOT DO WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING NOW.I HAVE SEVERE STAGE FRIGHT AND HAVE A SLIGHT DISABILITY WHERE I CAN'T REMEMBER THINGS OR IF I HAVE TOO MANY THINGS COMING AT ME AT ONE TIME I GO COMPLETELY BLANK.FOR ME EVERY DAY IS A GOOD DAY SOME ARE JUST BETTER THAT'S ALL.I LOVE READING YOUR BLOG ABOUT THE TOUR FOR IT FEELS LIKE WE ARE RIGHT THERE WITH YOU IN PERSON (WE ARE IN SPIRIT)I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO READING MORE AND SEEING ALL OF YOU PLAY HERE IN MARCH.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at that Meg, you're a total pro and getting back in the groove by the 4th day. Hopefully they'll tweak the schedule so you guys can have more time to soundcheck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome picture! At first I thought it was some sort of outer space thing, but then I read the caption.

    Also, I've noticed Dia says she'll by the merch booth for about 20 mintues to meet fans after the shows. Do all 5 of you go? Or just Dia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry I mean *be by the merch booth

      Delete
    2. Yeah it does look like there are stars in that picture. I'm assuming those are all the flashing cameras.

      Delete
  8. From Lincoln, Nebraska: Your Program Was Wonderful!
    I am Thrilled that you continue your music and made it through the Voice and onto the future :) Keeping your band together and keeping your music "yours" shows your dedication to the fans that brought you here. Who was that delightful barefoot pixie pirouetting down the runway as she belted out the songs ?? The duet with Blake the highlight of his part of the show. We would travel many, many miles to see you do the duet that you did on the Voice: Won't Back Down!
    Good luck, be safe, Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've got a Jimmy John's here in Vegas too, just a heads up incase you want more vegan sandwiches when you guys stop here! Also, I'm conflicted as to whether I'll be able to see you guys in Vegas or at the last tour date in California. Either way, I absolutely have to make one of them, I have an idea of something I'd like to bring for you Meg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. yeah man! I'd much rather go to the band's headliner show in Hollywood, but there are problems that come with that such as getting a car to drive there and gas money. we'll see though!

      Delete
  10. im so excited for you guys to be on tour again!! it almost sounds like a better smaller warped tour, haha. i will for sure be seeing you folks at the hollywood show. im going to be celebrating my 8th year anniversary with my love by first flying down from the bay to see this! then, of course, general galavanting

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meg - I'm so happy for you and your whole family. It's so cool to see everyone enjoying y'all's successes. I hope when you're close, we can come see you. Take care. Cathy Powell

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how you are keeping us updated about the tour, it's fun to read/experience a little of it along with you.
    Oh, and I hate to be that guy...but unless you got the lettuce wraps from JJ you didn't have a vegan sandwich, their bread is not vegan. If you're trying to eat vegan I'd thought I'd let you know that.

    Love the blog! Peace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed reading this post. As a singer/songwriter who will hopefully get to tour soon, it helps to read about your experiences and makes me feel less scared of reaching for my dreams. I'm much of a worrier myself which keeps me from taking risks, like moving forward in my music career. Thanks for your honest posts and humility as it seems we are all human, we all want to succeed and we all want to enjoy our jobs (even if its singing in front of a million people) Thanks again and good luck to you Meg and yo sis, Dia.

    ReplyDelete