Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Change of Heart

The mansion, built in the modern-pueblo style, popular in the Santa Clara Canyons of Southern Utah, stood proudly in the twilight.  The facade of the house looked as though a child had been in charge of the blue-prints, stacking cubes of smooth, canyon-colored elegance beside each other. 

Inside, the rooms were spacious with high ceilings. The stair case had a beautiful, wrought-iron stair rail leading down to bedrooms blanketed with plush ram's fur carpets. When I looked outside the west dining room wall, which consisted of a single sheet of glass, I admired  the beauty of the last rays of sunlight bouncing off of the red rocks. At that moment, I promised myself that one day I would OWN that house. 

I was barely old enough to drive a car when I made that promise. 

I still think about that memory from time to time. I'm impressed because although I was just a child, I had such a strong desire! Am I still going after that dream that had been engrained deep in my soul for at least a decade? Hell no! 
First of all, I don't have anywhere near 3.2 million dollars! (The estimate worth of the house today) Second of all, I think that I loved that house because the first boy that I fell in love with showed me that house. Had he showed me a shriveled up armadillo, my dream for a decade probably would have been to someday be a proud owner of a shriveled up armadillo! Also, I am in love, IN LOVE, with Austin, TX. Even though I was born and bred in Utah, it would take nothing short of a miracle to drag me away from my Texas sunshine and 6th street!

Sometimes we hold onto dreams for so long that we forget where they originated from and why we wanted them so much in the first place. I know you know what I'm talking about.  

Artwork by Julie D'arcy. Visit her etsy shop here.


The skeleton of my dream of that glamourous mansion has morphed with humility into my up-to-date desire which is: A cozy, little, old house, in the heart of downtown Austin or just outside of it with a little jewelry workshop on one side of the house where I can build and create robots to my hearts content, a fabulous kitchen where I can cook all the homemade vegan food my happy tummy desires, a descent size t.v. for watching "Big Love" and "Breaking Bad", and a man who adores me down to my baby toes and who will cook me breakfast in bed every morning. (O.K. that last part of my dream may be pushing it a little…) Is that too much to ask for oh gracious lord of the universe?!

"Meg and Dia" is another example of a dream that changed. "Meg and Dia" was a fantasy come-to-life that I lived fully for six years.  I had such pride in my "independent creativeness" and being an "Indie Rock Band".  Now, I play in a pop act with "Dia Frampton". Did the change tug on my heart strings just a little at first? Yes, I admit it, but what a blessing it has been to be part of my sister's dream in such a huge way! I still get chills when I listen to incredible bands like Dawes or Bon Iver. My dreams, in respect to music have changed, have broadened, and I now realize as the woman I am growing into, my true musical passion is playing many different styles of music with all types of inspiring musicians across the country and the world. 

Re-evaluate your dreams. Make sure they are strong and still relevant as you begin to understand who you really are. While waddling around in diapers, if you carried around miniature silverware in tight chubby fists, cranked open your cousins jaws when they came over to visit, and told them to say, "Ah", and then you turned out to be a Dentist 20 years later. Wonderful! I know that was the way it happened with Dia and her career. 

"Change of Heart friendship" necklace. Coming this spring!


There is something to be said about loyalty. Keep that, but when your heart changes, your heart changes.

Honestly,
Meg


13 comments:

  1. I know that after a long period of time, some of my dreams won't be important anymore. So I think that I should fulfil some of those dreams - that of course aren't on such a big scale - before they don't seem important.

    Funny that you made a necklace with a heart broken into two pieces - I actually had thought about that before although I imagined it being copper...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I'm a bit confused with the necklace - it's for one person right? Are the two heart pieces attatched slightly? Or how else does it connect into one big loop when around your neck?

      Delete
    2. Aw, this nceklace is wonderful!

      But I have the same question as MegDia_Fan

      Delete
    3. It's actually two separate necklaces for the two best friends, like friendship necklaces

      Delete
  2. Yea it would be cool if one person had half of it and you had the other!!!! It's weird how well I could connect with this entry, usually I can connect, but something about this one made my heart warm, knowing there's someone out there who feels the same about their dreams. ~Do you hold on to a ridiculous dream, just because it reminds you of childhood or something you USED to love? Nice one Meg......!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be so cool if it could connect. Like you BFF had one and the buyer (me) would have the other. That would be the greatest birthday present for my BFF ever! (Hopefully)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ATTENTION ALL MEG AND DIA FANS: how do you get their songs out of your head??? I can never get to bed!!! Last night all I heard was " yea this world is a whirlwind and I'm holding that trapeze," the night before: " it would give me peace and mind, til the day I die oohhhh tell me..." it driving me nuts not that I'dont like it, I'd rather have that than 'dev's dancing' in the dark'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. You don't! They pretty much stay in your head all day to the point where you can't concentrate! that's what good music does to ya.

      Delete
  5. Guys! :) I think the necklace is one for the buyer and one for a friend, I assume because if you look at the top of the picture you can see one chain go through the loop of the left peice.

    Meg, I love reading the blogs you write because they make me think about my life and myself, helping me slowly learn who I am, and where my life is going. You know the feeling you get when you listen to Dawes or Bon Iver? That is how I feel when listening to Meg & Dia or Dia Frampton music, it is spine tingling, bone chilling, and inspiring. I am definitely buying the change of heart friendship necklace for my friend and I because I love her and for christmas she gave me stupendous chandler. Keep up your amazing work and beautiful dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good detective work. You were right about the necklaces. Thanks Steph:)

      Delete
  6. Haha when I was little my dream job was to be a clown that performed at birthday parties, and now my dream job is to be a journalist. Talk about a change of heart...
    Love the friendship necklace! That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful... This kind of tugs on my heartstrings a bit. It's true, we do change and grow over time, but the thought of having completely changed an entire dream or way of life we hoped for... It is scary. But, as we grow, I understand we can't help but change to our heart's desires as well.

    Hmmm, it really is something to think about. To be honest, I never really knew what I wanted to be when I was younger... Took some growing up to realize it. But I'm so glad to hear that things are turning out to work the way they are supposed to be working out! It sounds like things are finally settling into place, and I couldn't be happier.

    Also, that friendship necklace is adorable!!! I might want to snag one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAH! i was scared to read the ending of this blog. especially after you mention the band and a dream changing. whew! i feared the worst.

    my dreams are always changing! seems i have no direction in life, or just let life lead me

    ReplyDelete