Monday, January 23, 2012

Fly Away Safe

Hello, for those of you just discovering my blog, I'm Dia's older sister Meg. I am on the "Blake Shelton" tour with her right now playing guitar and singing back up vocals. I will be regularly updating my blog with updates from the road, so please visit often to keep up with the "Dia Frampton" Band traveling adventures and to also hear about my robot jewelry I create:)


Photo by David McCudden


"The older I get, the more scared I become of planes." I looked over at her face, thoughtful and surprisingly calm after such a confession. Uneasily I shifted around in the driver's seat. "Well," I offered, choosing my words carefully, "I feel less safe driving around in our huge bus and trailer in the winter for months at a time." Oops. I am supposed to be making Dia feel better, and I am failing miserably! Nick chirped in from the back seat, "Statistically speaking, the chances of that plane crashing are even less then an accidental pregnancy from a condom breaking." I take my eyes off the wet roads up ahead to look back and shoot him a biting glare. Of course, a male's viewpoint. Just what we need at the moment. Dia shakes her head and replies, "I don't want to talk about this anymore."

We pulled into the parking lot of our favorite vegan-friendly restaurant in Nashville, "The Wild Cow". "Welcome back" says a familiar waitresses with a smile. She appeared to be about our age, tiny in stature, make-up free, wavy, long, jet-black hair without an ounce of product, and covered in colorful tattoos. The five of us band members squeeze into our favorite booth on the far west side of the restaurant. We reached for our menus. "It's nice to be with the band." Dia said. I felt a warm feeling begin to spread throughout my tummy. It might have been because of my hunger, but I believe the feeling radiated from happiness from hearing such an affirmation from our lead singer. 

We began reminiscing about the old house we stayed in while we recorded our most recent Meg and Dia ep, "It's always Stormy in Tillamook". We talked about going on vacation there sometime. Then the conversation turned to how curious we find our new crew and how much we have grown to appreciate them after such a short period time of being on tour. "Did Rob really freak you out last night?" I questioned Dia. Rob is our new guitar tech. "Yes! He opened the bus door wearing this skeleton mask with a big black coat, and I nearly fell out of the bus!" The table erupted in laughter. Good times.

Near the end of our meal, Dia pulls out her phone. "You're checking to see what time Jenni's ice cream closes next door aren't you?" She doesn't even look up from her typing as she nods guiltily. "Jenni's on me!"

A salty caramel and lavender ice cream later, we arrived back at the hotel room. Dia spent all night packing and reorganizing her luggage on the bus benches. "I'm sorry about the mess guys," she apologetically sighed as she continued to fold jeans and tuck her make-up bag into a carry on bag for her trip to New York. (In New York she will be interviewed for an event that I can't reveal quite yet!) 

"Your single is in radio rotation in Oklahoma" announced Robert on the way to the airport the next morning. "That's good right?" Dia replied. "Yes! That's definitely good!" As I listened to the trusty GPS guiding me to the airport, I began to ponder what the year ahead would look like for "Dia Frampton" and crew. 

I wonder if we are going to tour out of the country…

I wonder if Dia's songs will start to be in rotation everywhere, and we will have a "That Thing You Do Moment" where we are all sitting in a car together, and then we hear Dia's song on the radio!

I wonder. I wonder. I wonder…

She gave me a big hug as she exited our rental car. "Bye Meg. See you in a few days." A tired smile, and she was off.

Honestly,
Meg

P.S. On the jewelry side of things...Pre-Order will begin for my latest necklace design, "Tiny Dancer Robot" on Jan. 26th (in only three days!!!) I will only have 100 pieces available of this limited edition piece. You can click on the pink heart pic to the left to see more pics and read more details!

20 comments:

  1. I'm very afraid of planes. I get really claustrophobic whenever I realize that there's no getting off. I love airports though. I find the best thing to do is just blast music and distract myself.

    I'm glad you guys are having fun on tour and that there's so much exciting stuff ahead. If anyone deserves it... haha.

    You know I'm down to pre-order! My dad owes me another robot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I don't know...I think I dislike airports even more than planes! ha ha

      Delete
    2. No way! They're so exciting... everyone seems like they're going somewhere.

      Delete
  2. Haha, a "that thing you do" moment :D I'm extremely happy for you guys and looking forward to some more blog updates !

    Much love from a long time fan from France !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm a fan of France! lucky, I'm going to make Dia Frampton tours come there someday...

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you guys tour out of the country. I'd welcome you with a big hug if you came to Portugal! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. At the begining of the blog with the comment from Nick - I can definitely see my friend saying something like that...typical isn't it?

    I think the older I get the more I hate planes too. When you worry, you start to think of worse and worse scenarios. I guess we should just think positive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been on plane before, so I'm really not sure if I'd be afraid or not. But sometimes, it's hard to know what to say to really comfort someone. Planes really freak my mom out, so that's probably why I've never been on one although I'm 24. Maybe I'll be daring some day. But anyway I just hope for the best for all five of you!

    Hopefully I'll have enough money to get "Tiny Dancer," but if not, I'm definitely gonna get the silver version.

    Also, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing you all for the Feb 19th show! I'm already having trouble deciding which of my many Chandler the Robot necklaces and Meg & Dia shirts to wear =]

    Much love
    -Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Never been on a plane huh? Not a bad thing to have never done. Someday, huh? Good news about the Tiny Dancer Bot. For readers of my blog and subscribers to my newsletter I'm going to give out a 20% off coupon. I'll let you know:)

      Delete
  7. Poor Dia. I think I'm officially addicted, I check your blog every day after school, for a couple days there, I almost died with no daily updates from you! Don't do that to me girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that makes me sooo happy:) I'm definitely going to keep them coming. No worries!

      Delete
  8. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO READING ABOUT "THAT THING YOU DO MOMENT" FOR YOU GUYS,IT'S NOT A VICARIOUS THING BUT A WANTING THING.I WANT THE BEST FOR YOU GUYS AND IN READING ABOUT THINGS LIKE THAT WE GET TO SHARE THAT FEELING WITH YOU.TILLAMOOK IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE,EVEN WHEN IT'S STORMY.I AM FROM OREGON AND OUR COAST LINE IS SPECIAL TO US,EVERY LITTLE PLACE ON IT HOLDS IT'S BEAUTY BUT SHARES IT WITH YOU TOO.JUST LIKE IT SHOULD,JUST LIKE IT DOES,JUST BECAUSE IT'S THERE AND YOUR THERE WITH IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you feel like that Steve! That's what I'm hoping I'm giving to you guys with all of these blogs. It's working!:)

      Delete
  9. I know this is really weird but I like to hang out in the plane's washroom. It makes me feel safer for some reason....Oh god, I'm weird. I like standing in plane's restrooms. Pretty awesome in there. It's a Party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ummm, yes that's a little weird. haha! You gotta do what makes you feel better, ya know? I respect that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. See now, I'm not afraid of flying in an airplane..I'm afraid of falling in one..to the ground..or the ocean. "I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. (ooops sorry about previous comment above this one, accidentally deleted!) Wow, love to read about the band and your natural moments together! I absolutely loved watching that Behind The Scenes 4-part of Here, Here, and Here that I found on Youtube a few weeks ago =). I can't believe you orchestrated (literally, not figuratively) the music for the album! And that you used your Mac and Garage Band! (I'm pretty sure I know what that is, and I'm a little sure I know what I'm talking about right now after seeing it on Here, Here, and Here video-documentary) If I'm wrong, I apologize =). My bro and sis and I have been such huge fans for so long, since you first played at the Epicenter in 2007 , sad that you're not coming to San Diego this time around, and LA is already sold out! But good luck with everything, we're soooooo happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh hey Meg :D
    I'd be extremely happy for you guys if you guys are really touring out of country :) If you are going to do so, please keep Thailand in one of your choices <3 hehe. I'd love to see you guys and I can even take day off to show you around :)

    -Much Love from Thailand <3

    ReplyDelete