Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Don't Eat the Thai Food in Rochester, NY

I knew from the moment I took the first bite of Thai food we ordered, continuing to finish my meal would be a bad idea come show time, but I continued to chomp away at my yellow curried carrots and potatoes. Being on tour gives a girl a funny appetite. At home, it's already difficult enough to squeeze in healthy servings of quinoa and kale much to the chagrin of my taste buds, but at least I can do it there because I have no excuses. On the road I can say: "But I have no kitchen! How do you expect me to steam vegetables if there is not a kitchen to be found?" or "There is not a restaurant or grocery store in sight. I would have starved had I not eaten the 10 lbs of sugar I just consumed, honest!" Not to mention, due to Dia's vibrant presence on Twitter and her constant mention of "cupcakes" to fans, we basically have accumulated enough sweets to open up "Diva's Sweet Shop". Come one, come all! (This is not a call to quite bringing the sweets. By all means keep them coming. Without a happy lead singer, ner' a happy band will we be.)

Backstage, Dia and I had the pleasure to speak with a young chap who had quite a successful run on "The X Factor". I found him pleasant and humble, but their continuing conversations about "reality t.v. shows" became a little too much for my head, so I opted to scurry away to our tour bus to continue applying a smear of lipstick two shades too bright and hop into my "heels of death" before curtain call.

I found everyone's smiling faces quite enjoyable last night, during our headlining performance in Rochester, NY. Hardly any technical obstacles, aside from one little stint I attempted to pull during the outro of walk away. I went for one of those "Slash" moments where said guitarist places one foot on the floor monitor for balance and poses in a moment of triumph and glory for all the world to see...

That move doesn't work in high heels (Just in case you ever find yourself in a similar situation.)

Whenever a bit of silence happens in between songs and Dia is transitioning from the front of the stage to the piano she asks me to fill in with some clever antidotes. I didn't have any of those on hand last night, so I decided to inform the audience about the Thai food settling in my stomach and the effect my digestion has on my performance and my singing. I received a few dirty glances from my band. Maybe honesty isn't always the answer, but at least I learned about the sincerity and sympathy of our audience by listening to all of their remedies at the merch table after the show about aiding the digestion of spicy exotic foods. Who knew "chocolate cuts the burning sensation by covering nerve endings"?

Honestly,
Meg

29 comments:

  1. Huh...thought you and Dia always performed sans shoes? That'll teach ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope just Dia. I'd prefer uncomfortable shoes to no shoes. Stage floors can be pretty gross!

      Delete
  2. HA! Epic! That is so something that would come out of my mouth as well given my horrible digestive tract and lack of shame anymore. Next time just bring up the kid's book "Everyone poops" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha! too funny. I can't wait to see you guys at the troubadour. This will be my third time seeing you guys perform, but first time as the Dia Frampton crew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That show is going to be a fun one for sure. Tons of family and friends! I'm really looking forward to it!

      Delete
    2. Any chance you'll play some additional MAD songs at the Troubadour besides Bandits? Please? :))

      Delete
  4. Well lets start off with....... YOU MODIFIED SILVER CHANDLER..... but in a good way. I kinda want him more now........

    Second! This is very interesting..... I agree with you on the heel thing.... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! He does look a little different. Nick says he looks more "hip". Skinny Chandler lost weight. It's because he's on a vegan diet with me;)

      Delete
  5. Welcome to New York! Once you get down to the NYC/Long Island part of the state, everything gets better! Can't wait to see you tomorrow! I'll be waiting patiently at the merch table after the show, ready to tackle anyone who tries to see you guys before me....no I'm just kidding, but really hope I can take a picture with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first eating out seems okay and maybe a bit fun because you get to choose what you want to have every time. But after about 3 days you're sick of it. Especially when you're stuck going to some really terrible places.

    Last summer I went on a trip out East (visiting Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and P.E.I.) with some family. I ate some really horrid things that didn't settle well with me. Thankfully it was never too bad.

    After the 2 weeks we were gone I was so happy to finally eat a home cooked meal!!!

    Where do you think the best place you guys have eaten at is so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nashville, TN hands down. We went to some incredible vegetarian places there. Happy Cow was my favorite. Loved, loved, LOVED the coffee there. I can't really drink coffee, but I made an exception!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you could use someone looking out for you for local spots to eat. I think NYC will not be a problem finding good food, but when you come to San Jose in March, you will have a much better time with asian and vegan cuisine for sure. I'll email you some choices nearby the HP Pavillion so you won't need medication to get on stage. Can't have you discussing your indigestion in front of 18,000 fans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. having an English degree i should hate typos but yours make me smile.
    have a great show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typo?! Where's a type? Maybe I should hire you to edit my blog:)

      Delete
    2. clever antidotes. should be Anecdotes :P

      Delete
  9. HAD A HARD ENOUGH TIME BACK-IN-THE-DAY EVEN WALKING IN PLATFORM SHOES,LET ALONE PLAYING GUITAR IN THEM.SO I OPT TO SIT IN A CHAIR WHEN I PLAY,JUST MORE COMFORTABLE FOR ME THAT WAY.LOVE THIS ENTRY BY THE WAY.THERE ARE AROUND 71 VEGAN/VEGETARIAN RESTAURANTS HERE IN PORTLAND OREGON SO YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM FINDING SOME WHERE TO NOSH WHEN YOU COME HERE IN MARCH.IF YOU'D LIKE I'LL DO WHAT TIM SAID AS WELL,SEND YOU SOME OPTIONS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Platform Shoes oh how I remember those days man we were so cool in those. My wife (girlfriend at the time) had a giant pair I think they were like 8" tall, I think mine were like 3". Top them off with bell bottoms and those jazzy shirts. Thanks for the flashback Steve! I've never played guitar at least where anyone would want to listen to it, but I could not imagine trying to be on stage wearing those giant clogs.

      Delete
    2. O.K. I don't sound so impressive anymore...ha ha

      Delete
  10. The many wonders of chocolate, of all the times I've taken a antacid and to think I could of just had a chocolate bar!

    When you guys come to Ann Arbor MI March 1st for the highly anticipated concert, ya I'm pumped! There are several vegan restaurants in town, the one with the most reviews all highly rated is the Jazzy Veggie open from 11am-9pm. I've read where they also deliver.

    I know it's a quick stop for you guys coming from Ohio with a concert on the 29th and then on to Chicago for March 2nd concert.

    March 1st at the Blind Pig is going to be rocking! See you guys there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Meg! I was wondering if the old silver Chandler design is still available? I went to buy it and noticed there was a new revamped version in the shop instead, so I wanted to find out if I could still purchase the previous design? Thanks! x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are going to be available, but they are coming back in late March. The new silver's will be back in the beginning of March.

      Delete
  12. Meg, if you're near NYC Chinatown, how about picking up one of those electric rice cookers. You can use it to steam veggies or make comfort food like rice congee mixed with a little chopped veggies/mushroom (and bits of meat if you feel like falling off the vegan wagon for a day). Easy meals. Only problem is clean-up, made easier if it's a smaller model.

    Side benefit: The steam from the rice cooker will add to the humidity, something I'm sure Dia would appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never know what to say in between songs...! Luckily Forrest goes off on crazy jibberish and distracts from my lack of conversational topics. But when I start to talk, I immediately realize how dumb I sound and start to taper off...as if that is less embarrassing. I need a book of jokes or something for fodder.

    Looking forward to seeing you all in SLC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The moment is immortalized:
    http://youtu.be/Epo2mZAkTug
    HeHee..."Meg, this song is dedicated to you. Please start it!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. First time I've driven more than 2 hours for a concert and it was completely worth it! (We drove 8 hours from Ottawa) You were both amazing and I love your quirkiness in between songs, you both seem so down to earth. It was great meeting you as well, if you ever come to Toronto or Ottawa I'll be sure to send you a list of possible vegan places there are lost of delicious ones here. Thank you for such a great concert!!

    ReplyDelete