Monday, April 9, 2012

Egg Hunting

"Um…Happy Easter?" I said to my mother while reaching for a box of healthy (but not really) cereal. "Oh, right," my mother replied nervously. Families only celebrate Easter when children in the house are still young enough to have their cute little runny noses wiped by their mothers. Our household has no such children. Not an Easter egg in sight. "Why do we celebrate Easter anyway?" my mother inquired. She pulled two plastic containers of blueberries and blackberries from the fridge and began to rinse them in the colander over the sink. "I think it's Jesus' birthday," I answered while scrutinizing the nutrition facts on the side of the cereal box. "God's birthday…" my mom slowly mumbled into the air. A juicy bite of my cereal plopped into my bowl splashing milk.

Maybe we ought to be celebrating then…

I finally rummaged through my parents' entire house, (no easy feat if you only knew the square footage!) scraping away my lost memories tucked underneath beds and stuffed into cracked plastic bins under the stairs. Shoes and clothes and books that haven't seen the light of day for years while I've been away. I sorted through foreign objects, trying to figure out if these strange items were indeed mine.

I don't know that I would recommend taking a dive into memory lane to anyone. A photograph here, a stuffed animal there, a blank greeting card, my first business cards for Chandler the Robot. I used one of those really corny pre-made templates. Terrible, just terrible. Sometimes the feeling the memories bring back is a pleasant one....sometimes not.

I arranged all my jewelry supplies and pieces in a somewhat manageable fashion. When I first came home, I had clay sculpting tools, talcum powder, envelopes, and lobster clasps falling out of grocery bags, bins, and packing boxes. After organizing, I pinned up some new designs that I wasn't able to focus on while touring onto my "Creation Board". O.K. so what if my creation board is actually a regular old cork board? You never would have known had I not just told you! 

I held up a tiny silver "Willies" necklace to the sparse light shining through the wooden slats in my window. "Why, she's beautiful!" I exclaimed to myself (or maybe out loud…) A random onlooker peering into the scene in my make-shift jewelry studio might have guessed I was staring in awe at a pale damp butterfly wing just bursting out of a cold cocoon. I ran downstairs to show my parents. (It's been so long since I've been able to just run downstairs to impress the folks. Only a month more of this, and then this 27 year old is back out into the real world. I have to admit though, it is quite a rush feeling like I'm six again.) They seemed mildly impressed, more so impressed with my excitement then the actual design.

Who knew little copper robots would bring a gal so much delight?

I'm impatiently waiting for some more shipping supplies so that I can mail out your "Widgets" to you. 

Happy Easter. I hope that some of you painted an egg or two.

Honestly,
Meg

P.S. I'm in the process of taking photos of the new designs (including the silver "Willies" necklace).  They will be available soon!

15 comments:

  1. Im glad youre home relaxing you deserve it after all of that! Wheres Dia staying and the rest of the band? Enjoy the rest of your week feeling like a 6 year old!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I will. I believe Dia's back in L.A. She's got some performances out there. Jonathan and Carlo are too.

      Delete
  2. The problem with going down memory lane is that you sometimes find a "skeleton in the closet" every once and awhile, especially in your case. At least you buried that one. Maybe, that's why you can only do it occasionally.

    Easter egg hunts never made sense even to kids. I had to laugh at the conversation with your mom...I feel like that conversion probably happened a lot across the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea we don't have 'Easter Egg Hunts' anymore either. The occasion is sort of like a normal day for us except we go our family's houses for dinner.

    I'm really excited to see the new designs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for everyone to see them too! I also have an "Out of Time" necklace that was just finished. It looks sweet! (But I might be biased...)

      Delete
  4. I'm jealous of your family Meg, I've gotta be honest. Haha, I spent Easter by myself. I had a few minutes of sadness when I woke up and realized that this was the first time I haven't spent Easter morning with my parents. (Mom working, Dad moved out)
    Drowned my sorrows by eating about 6 giant chocolate eggs over the course of the morning. Yum.

    We celebrate Easter for candy, right? I haven't painted any eggs in awhile, I always broke them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha... Easter is about Jesus's death, not his birth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed at that too! Haha, silly gals. Christmas is actually meant to celebrate his birth.
      I'm not religious, but growing up in a supposedly "Christian" family, one hears these things. I just like painting eggs on Easter. : )

      Also, I always love seeing your new designs! They give me a nice little happiness high before I go back to continuing my daily routines. Can't wait to see!

      Delete
    2. Oh, thank you for clearing that up! We aren't religious either.

      Delete
  6. Easter is about Jesus's resurrection so it's like His rebirth. Christmas is his birth. Lent, celebrated before Easter is about His pasion and death. I grew up in a very Catholic family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see, this is why I love reading everyone's comments. Everyone is so smart! I learn something new every day on here. Thanks Kiar!

      Delete
  7. i wanted to have an easter egg hunt but my mom laughed at me instead...oh well

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't Easter about eating a lot of candy shaped like eggs?

    I have a dad that has always been very childlike/excited about every holiday and he and my mom, even when none of us are there, still give each other an Easter basket. They each give the other at least one secret gift in the basket. Holidays are what you make of them, hold your own meaning. Make it mean something.

    Any plans on doing any more Ayn Rand pieces? Huh? huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easter is the day that Jesus rose from the grave. He was crucified on a cross and said He would come back on the third day, which was Easter. My family and I are very strong Christians. :)

    Don't actually know where the Easter bunny came from... haha

    ReplyDelete