Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Little Song I Wrote Called "My Monk"

I checked my CTR inbox today like usual, making sure that none of your robots' heads were falling off, and everyone received their orders o.k. 


One of the emails caught my eye. (I haven't asked the person who wrote the email if I could publicly write about him on my blog, but since I'm not naming names, I'm assuming it's o.k. with him!) It read:


"Hi Meg,
Please ship to: (And of course I'm not going to write his address here!) Paypal is giving me a hard time changing the address, since I'm an international order. These "Out of Time Earrings" are for my girlfriend. Can you please include a note that says, "I'm still counting. Thanks!"


And then, later on in the day I received another email from him, kind of re-writing a few things he already had told me in the first email along with a few more details about his order..


"Hello Meg. I just placed an order for the "out of time" earings for my girlfriend in Alberta, Canada. The address on my paypal is in New brunswick, but she is in Alberta you see. I'm hoping you got the message I left on the paypal note, but I wanted to send you another message to be sure. Time is a big importance to both of us. We're counting the days until we can be together again, and these earrings are a symbol of that. I also forgot to mention her name is "Jessica".


Now, bear in mind, I've met a few of you at shows and the like, but with most of you we are mainly inter web buds (which is awesome, I'm not complaining.) I'm only mentioning this, because for some reason, although I have never met the boy who wrote the email, I couldn't help but feel incredibly excited about their budding long distance relationship. I thought his "personal touch" was so cute. So I wrote a VERY unpolished song, recorded in my home studio (a.k.a. my computer) about what I imagined their story was like, making the chorus lyrics "Counting down the days" of course. 


Please don't judge the sound quality of this track. Also, I also made the man in the story a monk, because I've always found a little "randomness" improves my art immensely. Plus, kind of adds a little spice to the story, since monks aren't supposed to be in love with earthly women, ya know? The lyrics are underneath the track.


Honestly,
Meg




"My Monk"

I give myself away to young love in the summer days
I found myself a boy in orange robes with his shaved head
I know his idea is to live above love
HIs soul handed over to his Buddha, his God, but

We are counting down the days
Counting down the days
We are counting down the days
Is that wrong?

The miles, yeah, make it hard
And his silence stole my breath
I wrote him a post card every time I felt like it

One day I held a letter in my hand 
He signed his name
Ripped it open, and my soul bent as the words began
It read:

"I am counting down the days
I am counting down the days
I am counting down the days
till' I see you again

When I am studying I see your face
When I am sleeping just the same 
I am counting down the days till' I see you again and again..."

43 comments:

  1. I'm completely blown away by this song. I keep replaying it. Great Job Meg :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great song Meg! You never disappoint me!

    A few posts back you said you were finishing up a song called I Have A Genius. Can we expect to hear that song soon as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that song turned out to be a train wreck. Sometimes, they work out, sometimes they don't. I think my "genius" jumped ship half way through that songwriting process... No worries, I'l be writing a lot more!

      Delete
  3. Sweetness. It's time for you to quit your day job and make a living doing music! Oh, wait...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noooo it says the address is invalid!!!! I wanna hear the song so baddddddd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nvrmind its just not workig on my phone-works on desktop. ugghh its stuck in my head now definetly put it on itunes

      Delete
    2. I can't find it on youtube, can you give me the link?

      Delete
  5. Love it, Meg! And I love it even more so that you were inspired by such a simple interweb request. I hope whoever it is, gets to share this special song with her now.

    Can we get Nick on here and make this a duet? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as we can make it work, I hope to record a lot more songs with Nick and is recording expertise. He's so great at all that "technical studio" stuff.

      Delete
  6. Really beautiful.

    I know you've said your voice isn't lead singer material, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Absolutely! Anything I put on the internet is free reign for everyone. I would never say "no" for someone to be creative. Please share when you are done.

      Delete
  8. I want this on my ipod...now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on making it downloadable. I'll let you know when I have it ready!

      Delete
  9. The song is beautiful Meg. Something about your songs really makes one take a step back... It's wonderful. And the lyrics are beautifully written.

    Keep it up Meg. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great song. Does inspiration come easy to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I can just pluck inspiration out of the air, sometimes I feel as though I need to dig it out of a cement grave. Either or...This song was the former.

      Delete
    2. I keep a book of quotes and I'd like to add "Sometimes I can just pluck inspiration out of the air, sometimes I feel as though I need to dig it out of a cement grave."

      Delete
  11. Awesome song Meg!!! You have a beautiful singing voice. That's so cool how you created this song from an email you received. Are you going to put this song on the Meg & Dia website for fans to download? You guys are my favorite band. I'm counting down the days until I see you guys perform again in NYC. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where I'm going to put this song up for download, but I will let you know.

      Delete
  12. You're tugging at my heartstrings Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! I've missed your beautiful voice and heart touching lyrics. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omgoodness. This is such a simply beautiful song, please provide for downloading. (I'll happily spend money!) Your willingness to share this computer recording and the inspiration with us (and some thin mint cookies you gave me once) continue to keep Meg and Dia on my favorite bands list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mint cookies? You probably shouldn't have eaten them. Not sure if they were safe coming from me... Ha ha.

      Delete
  15. This is simple yet honest, which makes it a beautiful song albeit raw (but it's fine that way!!) Thank you for sharing this song with us Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg i love it!! im geeking out : ))

    much love from malaysia and ps: i really love "I Hope at Least" soo much

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I love that you're inspired by your fans to make music that inspires us. It's amazing to know that us inter web buds just through comments and e-mails can affect you in even just a fraction of how much you have affected us through your music, jewelry, and blog. Would love to hear more of these spontaneous and raw, inspired songs. Thanks for sharing the story and new music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so glad because a lot more music from me is coming everyone's way!

      Delete
  18. I LOVE IT!! The sound quality is good don't worry about it. Please make a link for it so we can download it just like you did with the "Animal" cover. Or put it up on iTunes I wouldn't mind paying for it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely will make a link, just hold tight.

      Delete
  19. Meg, I can't thank you enough for this. It's amazing, and I'm sure my girl will love it as well. It brings tears to my eyes every time I listen to it. Any chance of a download coming available for this song? iTunes perhaps? Would love to listen to it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're so awesome Meg!!! Thank you for sharing it all with us. As you can see, everyone loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. After a stressful last few days at work, I finally had a chance to peek in on how you are doing on your blog. I have to say I was not prepared to hear a song that hits me so close to home. Due to work and family commitments, my wife and I have been apart over the last few months, its been difficult to say the least, and this song basically is exactly how I feel right now. It's like you took a request from my heart. I maybe tired and choked up, but it really hits me. Thanks!
    I also like how you shared the inspiration for it with us. I find it amazing how you took the email sentiments and made it into a such a cool song. You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my God I froze and my mind blew up!
    I guess I'm in love for your monk too, this song's just perfect!
    Excelent job Meg, really... Every day I found my self in love for your songs, your texts and your work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I read the above comments, and I'm glad to see that you're going to work on more songs. I absolutely love your voice. I really can't wait for the next one you release!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I met a virtual friend she means the world to me. Even though we're both young we both promised that when we we're older we would meet somewhere in this world. This song is beautiful, I only love her as a friend. I always loved her, and it's sad that people think that you shouldn't meet people online especially if you're young like me. Imogen (My friend) Even though we live far apart us I'm still counting until I'm 18. I never knew I would meet the best friend ever. :')

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really love this song.
    I listen to it all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chords? Also, Please do a solo album. No offense to Dia (It's just my opinion) But I like what I've heard of your music better. I listen to weeding through the rubble all the time and now I have a new favorite. I love your lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i'm in love with this song! where can i download this?
    last question. when will you release a solo album? :)


    fly to Philippines!>_<

    ReplyDelete