Friday, April 27, 2012

Tiny Break, Big Break

Four beautiful weeks off tour and at home. I had begun to live a daily routine of waking up at whatever hour of day suited me, eating three savory home-cooked meals concocted by my mother, laying out in the sun by the pool while reading a new delicious novel, and then spending time with my little sisters, my dog, and my robots. Ain't that the life?

I immersed myself in new jewelry designs. I started going to a few challenging yoga classes, feeling my body regain flexibility and strength I had lost. Sleep and meals focusing on fresh fruits and vegetables along with some spicy Korean dishes rejuvenated my health in no time. I met up with some very long time girl friends I haven't seen in ages to discuss all of the exciting things that were happening in their lives that I had missed while I was traveling. I even attended a very dear friend from high school's wedding reception and caught the bouquet! I started to feel so very normal, comfortable, and warm. 

I unpacked my sparkly black dress I used to perform in, replaced my golden-sequined shoes back on the top of my dresser, prepared to catch up on a few episodes of "The Office", and that's when I got the call. 

When you are a musician the calls you receive can only be from a few select individuals. (most of the people in your life stop staying in touch because they correctly assume you aren't at home.) The people who are left include: all of your band members, your manager, your mother (and if you are a guy, possibly some angry blonde babes from Detroit you asked to meet you after the show and then stood up.) That's about it. There are no surprises as to whom you will receive a phone call from, but as far as what that phone call will be about…well, it could be anything.
"I know I told you guys that you had the summer off, but hop back in the van and drive to Florida tomorrow because we are opening up for an arena tour!"

"Hope your week off was great, we are playing 'Saturday Night Live' on Sunday. Polish up your parts and maybe you ought to buy a red dress..."

"How does a tour in Europe sound next Saturday?"

This is why whenever I pick up my phone I am mentally prepared for the speaker on the other end to tell me to suit up and pack a lunch because tomorrow I'll be traveling to the moon.

Nick called me. "Hi Meg"

"Hi"

"So something kind of came up."

"Really? You found a house didn't you? I can finally move up north and start organizing the craft room and kitchen I've always dreamed of in my very own place?!"

"Um, no. The opening act for 'The Fray' just canceled, and they want to know if we can fill in for the rest of the tour. You in?"

"Well, I need to think about it."

"O.k., well, when will you know?"

"I don't know."

Then I hung up, grabbed one of the mountain bikes in my parent's garage and road that bike straight up the mountain by my house. 

I don't ride bikes.

I needed to breathe some fresh air, find a quiet space to think. Why was the decision so huge you ask? I tour all the time. I know. It's just that I was promised a little, TINY, break.

Well, I guess touring with "The Fray" could be a BIG break. So I rode home, called my manager and Nick on a three way conference call and told them very calmy and assuredly, though my heart was pounding between my ears.

"O.K. I'll do it."

Honestly,
Meg


13 comments:

  1. I didn't expect too read another "Girl On the Road" blog so soon! How many days did you have to prepare yourself for this tour? 2? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that you don't get a rest, but at the same time CONGRATULATIONS on touring with The Fray. That's just so amazing. Wow.
    But you definitely deserve a nice break after this tour :)

    ps good luck finding that house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! I'm sure we'll find a place once we get off this tour.

      Delete
  3. You deserve every break you get handed to you, whether it's a tiny break or a big break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely take what breaks I can get.

      Delete
  4. Not knowing anyone who lives a life remotely like yours. I can only identify with the yo-yo of emotions that you must feel. Intense periods of work away from home and never enough time to unwind or do all the things at home before the next performance and project. There is something to say for a plain old routine life, but the joy you bring others is priceless. Hope that you will find the balance you need. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and gifts with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Tim. This comment was very well said. I'm feeling like you have a good understanding of what's going on in this head of mine.

      Delete
    2. Wow, that's a scary thought. But somehow I knew you would say that. ;)
      Just remember that the earth is rotating about 67,000 miles an hour around the sun. If you don't keep your balance, you're likely to fly right off!

      Delete
  5. I think you need a nice long nap after this is all done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hope you guys have fun, but have another nice break soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first, I misread the article. I thought you had said that you've played on SNL. I was so distraught. I was like "NOooo! I missed Meg & Dia on SNL >:(" LOL, but then I kept reading :)

    ReplyDelete