Thursday, July 5, 2012

Asian Drivers...Need I say more?


Dia drove up to Salt Lake City, bringing with her precious cargo: the 995 demo cds we had left from our first and only printing of the "Our Home is Gone" record. ( I think my parents bought 2, and we maybe sold the other 3 cds at one of our hometown shows.) 

I promised Dia a band, an entire west-coast tour of booked shows, and an interested and flashy manager by the time she dropped her suitcases on my doorstep. Truth was, all I had waiting for her was a cold spanish omelet and hours of unfinished English homework. 

She didn't complain at all. We settled into a routine in SLC, eating, sleeping, and then repeating. I think I must had dropped out of college about the time she came up. I knew a few adventurous girlfriends around town to cause trouble with. I started dating someone, became relatively serious, relatively quickly, so he took up a lot of my time as well. 

Everything changed one day after an unfortunate accident in the Smith's parking lot. I had gone around doing some spring cleaning, finishing up some errands: laundry, grocery shopping, and what not. For some reason I remember being in a real intense rush after my grocery shopping. After I loaded in my bunch of turnips and whole milk into the trunk, I turned the keys in the ignition, and without even glancing up into my rearview mirror, zoomed out of that space like an aircraft late for a tea party. I slammed into a poor innocent woman's car searching for a convenient parking space. (Please, hold your "bad Asian-driving" comments please… Heard enough of those.)

Of course, the woman reacted violently and swiftly, calling the necessary authorities along with her concerned husband. "Yes, yes. I'm fine. What? Yes, she is. Well, she's one of those- " At this point, her voice lowered. She must have been trying to explain to her husband that the offender in question looked to be a scroungy ragamuffin in her late teens, looking to be as lost as the next wandering musician, and that they shouldn't be too hard on my crushed soul or she'll just keel over, or something close to that effect, I'm sure.

Needless to say, I got off easy. The cops came, they wrote me a little paper thingy which I crumpled up and tossed in the back seat. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the lady, whose day I had ruined, actually waved goodbye while I drove away from the crime scene. 

My friend Steve happened to call me on my drive back to my apartment. I explained to him the dire situation that had just taken place. He had just the anecdote. "You need to drive to "Price Autoshop" in South Salt Lake. Ask for Nick. I've actually been wanting you and Dia to meet him for awhile now. So maybe this is a good thing. He's a fantastic Drummer Man!"

So, I picked up Dia and some demo cds to meet this "fantastic Drummer Man" and perhaps score a deal on my busted bumper before my parents flip out  next Christmas break. We pulled up to this curious family-owned operation, walked through the entrance gate to spot a casual looking young man with his legs lounged up on the desk. In the memory I've sugar-coated since then, I redirected this scene with  him wearing long overalls on and chewing straw between his teeth. In real life, he wore a full-body, one piece, American-blue jumpsuit with the name tag "Price Auto" neatly fastened on his left breastpocket.

Ya'll already know this guy. And yes we ARE currently dating, and yes this is our "how we met for this first time..." story:)
He must have been expecting us. I swear he jumped straight over the desk with his legs that went on forever, light as a feather and acrobatic as a circus performer. Without an ounce of shyness, he walked right up to my sad bumper and gave me an immediate estimate of what the cost of a new bumper for my make and model would be. After hearing that frightening number, I decided that I thought the huge chunk missing in my bumper was kind of cute and rather endearing actually, and I had grown quite attached, and I'd rather not get it replaced after all. 

The conversation turned to mine and Dia's musical dream. We both became starry eyed while we told our new friend what we intended to do with our lives. He didn't seem skeptical at all like we thought he would be. We sold Nick a cd right out of our trunk. 

At the end of our explanation, Dia paused, and looked at Nick right straight in the eye. Her voice took on a solemn tone, and some melodic and suspenseful background music began to play as she took one step toward Nick and shook a stiff finger in his face. "Now, we are really serious you hear? We need to know that you are with us, ALL the way. We plan on traveling many moons across America to sing for people, to show them a little somethin'."

Nick didn't lose eye contact the entire time Dia recited her soliloquy. After she finished, he kicked a pebble in the dirt, hiked up his cargo shorts a little, and with a quick and efficient nod, he huffed, "I'm in."

Honestly,
Meg

29 comments:

  1. ahaha love the "some melodic and suspenseful background music began to play as she took one step toward Nick and shook a stiff finger in his face."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! :)

    StayBeautifulMeg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sounds like the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

    So, if you put turnips in the truck, you were sort of driving a turnip truck? As in the expression, "I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, you know." Ha, hate to say it, sort of applies for these younger years.

    Just curious if you guys have seen this off beat indie love story film called "Swedish Auto"? You may enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that's cute! :)
    Haha, I've to imagine how drastic Dia had to look in this moment :D
    I always thought you guys are dating! Just by seeing your pictures & some of your videos :D That's so cute, good luck. & how long are you dating? If I can ask :)
    You know, you had to post your stories a little earlier, 'cause just a few months ago, I made a presentation in musics about you (And because of that you win a new fan, a classmate of mine! :D) & so I could tell a little more about the beginning of my fav. band :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been dating for just about three years now and going strong:)

      Delete
  5. Girl you got the best stories ever!
    Would love to see a movie of it, seriously ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can Julia Roberts play me, pretty please:)

      Delete
    2. Of course she can! But, honestly, you're so much charismatic ;)

      Delete
  6. I love this Meg some of the best relationships with people begin this way! Keep it up been behind you guys since 06' and will be until the end

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea these stories would make a perfect book....haha goo job Meg always look forward to these stories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you ever think you'd be dating Nick back then? Either way, awesome story Meg :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way. I mean, I was VERY attracted to him. Don't get me wrong. But we had a very professional relationship from the beginning. Not even a "flirty" smile took place between the two of us until we had known each other for five years.

      Delete
  9. I really enjoy reading these blog entries. tell me more, tell me more like does he have....yeah, keep writing more!

    thank youuuu

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess your car accident was fate! It's so amazing how we can meet people who will greatly impact our lives in the most random of ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I think about this every time something really BAD happens to me! Ha ha. I always think that maybe one of the greatest thing ever will take place next:)

      Delete
  11. Meg's blogs always make my day and Dias soliloquy is pretty epic

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just out of curiosity what made you guys finally jump out of the friend zone? I was always rooting for you two even back in 06 ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. I think there were a lot of different "moments". For me, I first discovered I had feelings for him when him and I went on a little adventure on our own in Liverpool when we were touring in Europe. He first let me know he felt a little something extra on tour in Dallas, TX. We just sort of gradually came to the realization together really organically and over a really long period of time. It was awesome:)

      Delete
  13. You know, its always funny when I can recognize the places you talk about in your stories, because I live right in that area.

    Speaking of which I feel like price autoshop can't be far from where I used to live in sandy because I always saw a truck with "price autoshop" on the side at the apartment complex I used to live at.

    And if memory serves you worked at the mall right near there too (I remember that from really old Blogs).

    Small world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I forgot to sign as...
      -johannes

      Delete
  14. wow, id love to get one of my paws on a copy!!

    sounds like you and dia had/have quite the drive(har har, no pun intended)


    oh and since you're a friends fan. who do you think was right in the ross/rachel break up scenario? it's something quite near to my situation at the moment. just wanted your opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they both were right. Ross was right that he had free reign to hook up with whoever he wanted since they were broken up. Rachel was right to be mad and not want to get back together with him since he hooked up with someone when they were broken up. Of course, Ross shouldn't have done that though if he thought there was a chance to get back with her later!

      Delete
  15. Thanks meg, it will be noted. A hot bubbling witches brew of emotion is what it is

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meg - this is an amazing testimony. Makes me remember my inner belief in the fact that he will come into my life when its time... keep smiling girl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You two are my OTP 5ever. Also, I have a feeling that story might have been slightly embellished, maybe just a tad?

    ReplyDelete