Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Preparing For The Journey Ahead

I start preparing for a tour the moment the dates are confirmed. Back in the day, we easily practiced whenever we wanted. We'd lounge around in a mall, eat Taco Bell, and practice for twenty minutes or so when we felt like it. Not anymore. We all have other jobs, some of us have wives (super cute wives, might I add!) Practice-time is precious, planned in advance, communicated and confirmed over many text messages, and when everyone arrives we get down to business. (We've upgraded to burritos from Hugo's and cupcakes from Baby Cakes instead of Taco Bell! Thank you Dia.)

The first day of tour sneaks up out of nowhere. I still haven't cleaned up some chord changes and a few harmonies are a little iffy. My goal for the Asia tour is to practice an hour a day. 


I know that even though I've practiced quite a bit for this tour, it's not going to be enough. It never is. I can prepare until I feel totally ready, but I know I need to practice some more, because I've got to leave some margin for the stage shakes. Playing in front of people makes at least 1/10th of my practicing effort useless. It just happens. With nerves and not being able to count on whiskey anymore, I'm expecting to be a bit shaky. At least I know what to watch out for at this point in my music career.

Prepping for tour also involves what I plan to bring on tour. When I heard we would be touring in China in January, (and I saw photos of Dia bundled up like a Marshmallow standing in front of The Great Wall,) I googled, "How to dress warm in cold weather." It's not just about putting on a navy pea coat and a cute beanie. Dia and I are cold ALL THE TIME in just about every green room and backstage area. 

Enter, the body Sock. This dandy number keeps you warm in sub-arctic temperatures. 



Oh yeah! Sexy I know. Who's gonna be laughing though when I'm all warm and cozy? Carlo may look like a GQ model on tour, but will he be as toasty as this stylish broad?

I've also been working on some new Chandler designs in between practicing. Right now, I'm dedicating more time to the guitar than jewelry, but tables will turn as soon as I get back from tour. 

Here are a few sketch ideas I've been working on. As you can see, I'm thinking about making a brand new ring collection". I've never done rings before. I've always been a bit hesitant because I'll have to make a whole bunch of different sizes. With necklaces it's a one-size-fits-all type of deal. I'm ready to try it out this year. The other sketch is a tiny super hero chick. I'm not sure how that one will turn out in pendant form. I guess we shall see!




I hope you guys have a wonderful holiday! We have a tradition where each family member opens one present on Christmas Eve. I'm hoping my little sister opens her Mario Kart Wii game. If not there is always Elf to be watched with a giant bowl of buttery popcorn.

Cheers to you and yours!
Meg

2 comments:

  1. it's good to read you excited (and a bit anxious) about performing again... wish you could bring the tour back to the states - maybe? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see you on the 21st with Dia & Carlo! Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete