Friday, December 6, 2013

You Find What You Are Looking For

I'll be a vendor at Unique L.A. this weekend! While preparing for the show, I decided I wanted to incorporate some festive design elements to our booth space. I went to Pinterest for some inspiration (of course!) and found the below "bunting" idea. (Bunting is just a weird word for this flag situation pictured, in case you didn't know. I didn't know it was called that either.)


Early this morning, I went out on my front porch and stairwell to search for some fall-colored leaves. I stooped over, bundled up in warm winter wear I recently dug out of my closet, collecting these crispy bits of nature's art. 

I walk up and down the stairs and patio leading to my front door multiple times a day. Each time I always grunt and fuss about all of the crunchy brown mess that I need to sweep up... at some point. Carlo and Dia came over last night to play some music and I was embarrassed about my lack of upkeep and thankful for the darkness of the night to cover the mess. 

Today though, as I searched through the leaves, turning on my spider powers, giving me laser-like focus, a strange thing happened. I began to see beauty and color and variety that I never knew existed, hidden in the pile of leaves I had always considered a "chore to be dealt with". 

Suddenly my search became a game to seek out gorgeous reds, vibrant greens morphing into yellows in a dazzling display of nature's way.

Yes, eventually these little beauties will turn into crunchy brown mulch, but right now, they are almost pretty enough to sell in my booth along with my bots. 


It's funny what you find when you are focused and understand what you are looking for. Isn't it?


Honestly,
Meg

3 comments:

  1. Hey Meg! Just realized you started blogging again on this blog! Just like the good old days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some attribute this quote to the Talmud and others to anais nin or another individual or two but the meaning of the words supersede the source for me:

    ":we do not see things as they are as much as we see things as we are"

    “we do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.”

    the point being our perspective influences what we see so much, that we each see the same things uniquely, sight and all of our senses give us an individual experience of the physical reality around us based on the cumulative experience and genetics within us... what may be most universally shared is the understanding that the more we open our mind and our senses, the more we understand the truth in these words...

    which is what i see you saying in this entry... which inspired my smile...

    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can find beauty in all the places, you just need to pay attention to see it :D

    ReplyDelete