Monday, March 24, 2014

Dear Postman

I just got back from a post office run to drop off my Chandler orders. I sent a Stupendous Chandler to the United Kingdom. The post office lady and I tried to decipher the long address. We couldn't tell if some of the words were part of the business name or the street name. We worked it out to the best of our ability until the ancient computer deemed our formatting acceptable. 

She then reached for the other packages I had pre-stamped. As she sorted through them, she said, "You should see the way addresses are written out when they are being sent to Iran. They usually say something like: Turn left at the second dirt road, make a right, look for the building across from the cemetery, and then on the second floor locate for the door with the broken handle." I laughed. 

As I walked outside, clicking the clicker to my car, I thought about the two different types of addresses. I realized that in both cases the delivery man has the same objective: locate recipient and deliver mail. Yet, the methods to getting to the destinations differed so dramatically. 

We all want the same things out of life. We want to be happy. We want to enjoy ourselves, and we all have such different ways of searching for and arriving at that same destination. 

True there is a set way that addresses are written out: 

Jane Doe
1953 Golden Crescent Way
Birmingham, AL 35205 

This address, translated into life instructions, might look like: graduate from this high school, get into that college, marry that guy, get that job, own that house, have kids and a dog, and eat at your mother-in-law's house every Sunday evening. 

Would it really be so strange to instead to have the address, the life plan, to travel the world, join a circus, own a teacup pig, compete in transatlantic hot air balloon races (do these even exist?), work at a gourmet Asian fusion food truck on the weekdays, and perform at the comedy club on weekends?

Post card image used from an Etsy Shop called Eyefun
I hope my address at the end of my journey reads: 

Dear postman,

Please deliver the package to:

Meg Frampton
Follow the cobblestone road until you see the bent mail box, make an immediate right turn, followed by a left turn until you see the oak tree tilted 45 degrees. Follow the direction of the tilt until you find the animal pen with the two vivacious goats. (Please be careful not to upset the goats!) Proceed to the broken stoplight (that only flashes red these days.) Look for the corner store with the nice, old gentleman who always sits on the bench out front with his tiny pet poodle. There is a doorway to the right of that bench which will lead up two flights of stairs. Drop the package in front of the apartment door painted bright purple. Also, try not to make any noise while you are there. There is some messy art being created behind those doors. 
Somewhere in America. 82345

P.S. Nothing wrong with marrying that guy, owning that house, and eating at your mother-in-law's house every Sunday. I would freaking LOVE to eat at my boyfriend's mom's house every Sunday if we lived nearby. I was just using that example for the sake of this blog post. Cheers!




P.P.S. If you are wondering what kind of "messy art" I've been working on lately. I would like to introduce you to the newest member of the CTR shop: "Cooky Owl"!

No comments:

Post a Comment