Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Focus On Your Own Story


My sister, Dia, and I talked the other day about our different musical projects. If you haven't heard, she's about to tour to promote her new record. I told her I sometimes compare myself to all the cool stuff she's doing, and I feel behind. I told her that if I did put together a band, we'd probably play small shows in bars in Echo Park, and I'd feel funny inviting her to my tiny shows because she's going on these big tours. 

She said that she would think that a rock band playing a small show in Echo Park would be the coolest thing ever, and she'd love to come. 

I reminded myself not to compare my journey with everyone else's journey. I need to respect the process of personal improvement.


I may not be touring in a bus this summer or releasing a record that a movie producer made, but I'm the best guitar player that I've ever been, and I'm damn proud of that. My journey is quieter and less glitzy, but I'm learning to love it all the same, while at the same time being inspired by my sister's accomplishments.

Each day I turn on the old amp, press the appropriate pedals, stick in the headphones, and play the same songs over and over. Each day, I'm happy with the outcome, because even though I'm not Jack White (yet!), I'm much better than the Meg from yesterday. 

Speaking of yesterday, during my yoga class, this new girl kicked ass. Later during the class, the teacher asked her if she was a gymnast and she said yes. She had these great tattoos, a perfect pony tail, and her pointed toes in her handstands were the bees knees.

I found myself, struggling to balance in my poses, and I couldn't help constantly peeking over at this girl. I couldn't help thoughts like, "she's so much more experienced than me," and "she's so far ahead".


Thankfully, I managed to turn my attention to my own journey on my mat.  I let myself feel inspired by her talents rather than intimidated. Then I turned my attention inward, focusing on my breath. (I think that yoga teachers say 'focus on YOUR breath' to keep us from focusing on more advanced students in the class! haha.) 

I calmed my mind and did the poses the best that I could at that moment. I stopped thinking about the future and how I'd like to be able to do the splits three ways and every imaginable arm balance. I simply thought about the task at hand, breathing into the present moment. 


And it was one of my favorite yoga class experiences to date. 


Did I kill it ability wise? No. Was I particularly flexible that day? Not at all. I simply experienced each pose to the fullest and appreciated the moment, the process, the journey, my story.

I'm fond of Dia's story. Her story is great. I'm lucky to have been part of the early chapters, and hopefully I'll be part of some futures chapters as well.

I love the story of crazy yoga girl and her perfectly pointed toes and sculpted biceps. 


But their stories aren't my story. 


They are on chapter 37, and I'm still on chapter 6, and that's o.k. 

I'll play each note, hold each pose, sing each song, and type each word to the best of my ability, and I'll give that moment everything I've got. And then I'll do it again the next day. 

I hope you know how important your story is, but mostly how important it is that you do it your own way and in your own time.

It doesn't matter how far ahead everyone else seems to be. 

Focus on your own story. I am.

Honestly,
Meg


3 comments:

  1. love you meg. so inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a poster my older brother proudly displayed on his bedroom door when we were kids. I didn't really understand it until I grew up, and it made sense to me. I just thought it was some pseudo-new age psycology aimed at making my mother mad. It had a snowclad mountain against a blue sky with climbers struggling to the summit and it read, "We are the measure of our own success." And I think your advice is aligning with this blast of the past for me. I just need to remember it more often. Thanks for the reminder and get that band together so we all can hear you play live again.

    ReplyDelete